Friday, May 17, 2013

Old School Trivet

Like many of you, I have a stash of fabric that is waaaaay too big.  Part of the reason is because I can't bring myself to throw away any scraps left over from other projects.  So, I pulled out my half metre of cotton leftover from my dining room chairs makeover and decided to put it to good use~

DIY Trivet, Handmade Trivet, DIY Kitchen crafts

This is such a simple project but I love it when I can put the things I make to really good use.  Plus it reminded me of the kind of thing I used to see at church sales with my grandma when I was a kid so it brought back some good memories.

Here's all you need to make your own trivet:


Materials:
-.5-1 metre of cotton fabric
-scissors, thread, needle
-optional: thimble (not shown)

Steps:
1) If you're new to working with fabric this first step might scare you a bit but just go for it, once you start you won't want to stop.

You're going to make strips of fabric from your cotton by tearing it on the grainline.  Just cut an inch two perpendicular to the selvedge of your fabric.  I made my strips 2.5" wide.

Make sure to start with a straight
torn edge so that your strip
will be an even width throughout.
2) Now just pull the fabric apart and it should tear easily, and straight, along the grainline.  It might look like it's crooked compared to your print, but trust me, the fabric itself will be straight.


I made 6 strips but you can make any multiple of three that you want.  The more you make the bigger your project will be and the more hand sewing you'll have to do.  (3 strips makes a nice little coaster size piece.)

3) Start with 3 strips of fabric by folding the ends into a T shape and securing with a few stitches.

Ideally you should use a matching colour of thread.
This lovely lilac was on my machine though
and I was too lazy to change it.
4) Now just braid your strips together, folding in the raw edges as best you can as you go.


5) If you want to add more strips of fabric to make your braid longer just weave them in near the end of your first set.  When you're happy with the length of braid you have, secure it with a few hand stitches.

6) Now just coil your braid into a circle, hand stitching on the BACK or bottom of the piece as you go.


There will be a top and bottom (or front and back).  Keep your stitches to one side and don't worry too much about how it looks under there.  Do be careful not to let your piece take on a bowl shape though.  It will curve a tiny bit and that's OK but try your best to keep it somewhat flat.

7) When your done, just fold the ends to the bottom and stitch down.  Now steam the heck out of it and will flatten right down.

Steam your glasses up if you have to~
And now you have something to set your hot pots and bowls on when making dinner tonight!

(This photo was taken before I steamed it)
It's such an easy project and easy to do.  In fact I did most of my hand stitching while watching bad TV shows throughout the week.  I didn't use a thimble but I sure wish I had.  Depending on your cotton there may be some bits that are harder to push your needle through than others and a thimble will save your tender little fingers from bearing the brunt of that work.

Of course, I still have some fabric left over and I haven't thrown it away so now I'll have to come up with another scrapbuster to use the rest of it up once and for all~

On another note, the snow has finally melted here and now I can get outside to do some gardening and get some fun outdoor crafts done!!!  I have loads of fun ideas planned for the coming weeks so I hope you'll keep stopping by to check them all out.

Have a crafty week everyone!

8 comments:

free style creating by Villy said...

I like it!
http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr

Cranberry Morning said...

That's certainly clever! I have a stash of fabric too. Hmmmmmmm.

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

How cute! I love fabric trivets! Thank you so much for coming by and linking up to the Pinworthy Projects Party!

Jenna said...

Loving this trivet! The pattern is so cute and I'm into anything old school! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-9.html
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Love your trivet! Old school styles are the best!! :)

Heidi Polcyn said...

Love it! Pinning to my fabric scraps board. I have SO many scraps to use up and this is perfect!

Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

A great way to use scraps and this would make a cute little gift for someone! Pinned it!

Thanks!

Sam
cooksandcreates.blogspot.com

(new follower - found you on sugar bee crafts)

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...