Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Trunk Transformation

I think I was about 14 or so when my Grandma gave me this trunk for my birthday:


I think she was the only person who believed me at the time when I said I was going to travel the world.

For a long time, I basically lived out of a suitcase while I travelled.  So, my trunk stayed behind at my parents house.  And, over time, it took a bit of a beating. 


When I finally started to settle down and needed some furniture I rescued my trunk.

I just used some MDF type board that I had cut at the hardware store to size. 


I added a nice super thick layer of foam, wrapped it in quilt batting, and then wrapped the whole thing with some microfiber type fabric.


Added some home made cushions and now it's a bench!

I've picked the lock many times, but now
I just don't lock it.  If I ever remember the special
secret hiding place I put the key, then I'll lock it again~
But it still holds my treasures...


Yes, I was a bit of a Barbie fanatic when I was a kid.  I couldn't possibly let go of them so I keep them in my trunk.  I've also got a bag of Glamour Gals that I can't get rid of either.  They were like miniature Barbies...sort of.  Anyone else out there remember them?

Do you have any of your childhood toys kept in a special place?  Leave a comment!

4 comments:

Adorned From Above said...

I love your redo of a treasured gift from your grandmother. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above.
Have a great week.
Debi and Charly

free style creating by Villy said...

so smart idea!good job!

Artsy VaVa said...

I love how you made the trunk into a bench. And, what a special gift from your grandmother!

angela hodges abode said...

That is a great way to use it! I'm hosting a new linky party at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/efforts-and-assets-linky-party-1.html

I would love to have you!
Angela

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...