Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tell a Tale: Cleopatra's Daughter


Let's take a trip back in time...waaaaaayy back~

“I don't think unhappiness is fated.”
Michelle Moran, Cleopatra's Daughter

Summary (from Goodreads):
Follows the incredible life of Cleopatra's surviving children with Marc Antony -- twins, named Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene, and a younger son named Ptolemy. All three were taken to Rome and paraded through the streets, then sent off to be raised by Octavia (the wife whom Marc Antony left for Cleopatra). Raised in one of the most fascinating courts of all time, Cleopatra's children would have met Ovid, Seneca, Vitruvius (who inspired the Vitruvian man), Agrippa (who built the Pantheon), Herod, his sister Salome, the poets Virgil, Horace, Maecenas and so many others!

Review:
I was really looking forward to reading this book, unfortunately I was very disappointed with it. I love all things ancient Egypt and Rome and am usually very forgiving when historical fiction authors play with real historical events but I think this one went a little too far.

The 'story' doesn't really start to move until the last quarter of the book and the freedom that the characters are given to say and do almost anything they want just doesn't seem plausible. The sub-plot was strange and unnecessary and really does a disservice to the memory of the real life characters that it involves.

I will continue to try to read Michelle Moran but sadly this one just wasn't for me.  I've read her other books that are set in ancient Egypt but am usually left wanting more or questioning the validity of the historical facts that are used.  Strangely enough, Michelle Moran seems to be highly regarded for her research skills.


Do you read this author?  Is it ok that I'm telling you about a book I'm not crazy about?  Leave a comment below or come visit me on Goodreads and leave your own review~

Juba II (Cleopatra Selene's husband) & Cleopatra Selene (the famous Cleopatra's daughter)

1 comment:

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi Tamara,
So curious... I'm Cleopatra's daughter too! My mommy's name is Cleopatra and her Godmother was an Egyptian lady that was a family friend.That's a rare name here. I'm going to see if there are this book in portuguese to offer my mommy.She would love it!
Thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...