Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pattern Review- Vintage McCall's 4251

I have a few weaknesses (like shoes, caramel, and vintage sewing patterns) and I have a few passions (like history, art, fashion, and vintage sewing patterns).  But only once in awhile do they cross... you guessed it, vintage sewing patterns!

My mom laughs at me because when I talk about vintage sewing patterns I'm really referring to anything before the 1980's.  The era that I collect the most are from the 1970's.  If I could afford and/or fit the ones from the 30's and 40's I'd probably have a drawer full of them too.

So, today I'm going to show you one of my very favourite finds.


Isn't this the cutest pattern ever?!?!  I absolutely love the illustrations from this time in McCall's history.  I tried to do some research into their fashion illustrators from the past but have yet to come up with anything.

The pattern is from 1974.  So far I've only made the top from View B but it fits perfectly.


I love that it sort of looks like a little jacket and top together (more so on the pattern than in my version).

I just used notions that I had on hand which meant only three little rosette buttons instead of 5 all the way down the front.


Even though I have a small (OK, maybe not so small) stash of lace in my stock, I don't tend to use it very much to embellish.  But I think it's the perfect thing for this little top to give it that "vintagey" feel.


There are two darts in the front and two in the back that help give it that oh so perfect fit, but the real secret is that it has a side zip.


The pattern calls for anything from cotton to challis to satin or wool for fabric choices but I went with a cute floral printed cotton. 

Something interesting that I've noticed with a lot of vintage patterns is that the yardage is usually for both pieces in a two piece outfit so you just sort of have to lay things out if you're only making one piece, to see how much you need.

Did you see the price up top??? 
Vintage patterns are always a bit of a risk because the fit of everything was so different in each decade.  You can see on the back of the pattern above just how much the body measurements have changed compared to today's patterns.  I've made tops, dresses, and jackets from older patterns but have yet to attempt pants because the waistlines are all so different than the trends of today.  But this one is so cute that I just may have to give it a try.


This pattern was so much easier to put together than I thought it would be.  The neckline and the armhole facings finished everything and made it easy to attach the lace edging.  If I ever make this top again I'll probably use an invisible zipper instead of using the lap over technique but that's about all I'd change.

Overall, I love this pattern.  I love the envelope drawings and I like how it fits in reality.  If you're a pattern collector and you come across this one in your travels I definitely recommend that you pick it up.

I'll be sharing this at the linky parties throughout the week.  You can check out the linky party tab up top to see where I hang out when I'm not here.

Also, make sure to check out the Follow my Friends feature this week for another fun blog to visit.

5 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Hi,its really smart..keep it up ^(^

WobiSobi said...

Beautiful Top!!

caz said...

That top is so cute!

Please make the pants too! Wide leg = so in right now, would love to see how they turn out!

Carol-Anne said...

Visiting from 'Under the Table....'

Love your vintage patterns. I, too, am drawn to them. Although your interest at least makes sense! I can't sew!

AsylumTanya said...

I couldn't help but notice how the gal in black looks a lot like Farah.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...